Church Pianist/Accompanist Sought
The San Marcos Unitarian Universalist Fellowship (SMUUF) is seeking an experienced Pianist/Accompanist for weekly worship services and choir rehearsals beginning in January 2020. SMUUF is a dynamic and welcoming congregation that meets in the sanctuary of the UCM Wesley Center adjacent to the Texas State University campus. Experienced musicians of diverse beliefs and backgrounds are encouraged to apply. Please read on for details and application procedures.
San Marcos Unitarian Universalist Fellowship, San Marcos, Texas
Position Available: January 1, 2020
The San Marcos Unitarian Universalist Fellowship (SMUUF) is seeking an experienced Pianist/Accompanist for weekly worship services and choir rehearsals. SMUUF is dedicated to promoting diversity, multiculturalism, justice, and equity both within our congregation and in the broader community. Applicants can learn more about SMUUF and Unitarian Universalism at: https://smuuf.org/uu-smuuf
Job Summary. The Pianist/Accompanist provides service music on typically four Sunday mornings per month throughout the year and accompanies the choir at an average of four Thursday evening rehearsals per month from September through May.
Hours. Sunday mornings 10:15-12:15; Thursday evenings 7:00-8:00 (Sep-May).
Job Responsibilities. The Pianist/Accompanist:
- Selects music from their own repertoire which is appropriate for the elements of the service which require solo piano music.
- Rehearses with the song leader, choir director, choir, and other musicians before the Sunday morning service (10:15-10:45).
- Accompanies congregational singing of hymns, usually with the assistance of a song leader.
- Accompanies the choir, which typically sings in worship services twice a month.
- Accompanies vocal and instrumental soloists and ensembles.
- Rehearses with the choir on Thursday evenings September-May.
- Communicates with and works cooperatively with the Minister and the Music Team.
- Coordinates in advance with the Music Team to arrange for a substitute if unable to play for a rehearsal or service or if occasional scheduling conflicts occur.
Qualifications. The preferred applicant will have experience as a church musician and as an accompanist for vocal and choral music, including playing individual and combined voice parts for rehearsal. In addition, good sight-reading skills, the ability to improvise an accompaniment from chords or a lead sheet, and familiarity with a variety of styles (classical, contemporary, pop, rock, folk, jazz) are highly desirable. Clear and timely communication skills are critical, including the use of email and shared online planning programs (orientation provided).
Compensation. Compensation is per rehearsal and worship service and based on experience and skill level. The range per rehearsal is $35-50 and the range per worship service is $70-100.
After receipt of applications, candidates being considered will be contacted for an interview and audition.